Cranberries can offer vibrant color, refreshing taste, and health-promoting nutrients to many foods and beverages. Available in many convenient forms — from fresh and dried to juices and sauces — cranberries are an ingredient you can use throughout the day and throughout the year.
Add fresh cranberries to breakfast breads, toss dried cranberries into your salad, mix up a refreshing beverage with one of the many forms of cranberry juice, or create a festive holiday dessert with fresh or dried cranberries.Mixed Greens with Cranberries, Goat Cheese & Walnuts Ingredients for the Salad:
Ingredients for Vinaigrette Dressing:
- 9 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup soft goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Directions for the Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (the juice from one lemon)
- 2 tablespoons 100% cranberry juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons soft mild-flavored goat cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Combine in a blender the lemon juice, cranberry juice, honey, goat cheese, salt and pepper. Blend until smooth, then, with the motor running, gradually add in the olive oil. The vinaigrette can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.Directions for the Salad:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toast chopped walnuts on a shallow baking dish for 8-10 minutes.
A few minutes before you want to serve the salad, in a large serving bowl toss the greens with the vinaigrette. Garnish with the cranberries, toasted walnuts, and crumbled goat cheese.6 servings Cranberry Almond Bread
Use this recipe to make a fast and festive loaf or a dozen muffins for your next family brunch or holiday gathering.Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
Makes 1 loaf or 12 standard muffinsSparkling Cranberry Cocktail
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Butter an 8 ½ x 4 ½ x 2½ loaf pan and set aside.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Combine egg, milk, butter, and almond extract in a separate mixing bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist. Stir in cranberries.
- Spread batter in the buttered loaf pan. Sprinkle with sugar and almonds. Bake for 45 minutes at 375° F.
- Reduce heat to 350° F. Bake for an additional 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
You can make a non-alcoholic version of this festive cocktail by using sparkling water and orange juice instead of the sparkling wine and orange liqueur.Ingredients:
- 12 oz. (1½ cups) sparkling wine or Champagne
- 6 oz. (3/4 cup) cranberry juice
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) orange liqueur
- Frozen cranberries and lime slices, for garnish
- In a large glass pitcher, combine cranberry juice, sparkling wine, and orange liqueur. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
- To serve, pour into 4 cocktail glasses and garnish with frozen cranberries and lime slices
Recipes courtesy of the Cranberry Marketing Committee. Visit www.uscranberries.com
for more recipes. Have fun exploring this site and discovering new and delicious ways to add cranberries to your healthful diet!