The way to sum up Spring and Summer fashion for 2012 is a return to femininity and glamour! This year we’re not borrowing from the male wardrobe with “boyfriend jeans” and military-inspiration. Going forward it’s all about the female silhouette and femininity – the 1920’s look.
Peplums, Crop Tops, Pencil Skirts, Color Blocking
- For form, it’s peplums, crop tops, pencil skirts, pleats and cut away shoulders.
- For patterns, it is all about color blocking and super bold and edgy prints like geometric patterns, graphics, stripes, and abstract florals.
- In terms of colors, think tangerine and oranges, and pastels. It’s all about the ladylike look. For the evening, metallics are big this season.
- Many of upcoming trends we haven’t seen in quite a while, so it’s the perfect time for you to add something new to your wardrobe.
- Fashion, is a way to express your personality and individuality. There is no rule that says you have to follow every single trend that becomes popular. Before following any fashion trend, assess whether it suits your personality, and your body type. Look for the pieces that suit you and make you feel fashionable and stylish. Trends are meant to be embraced – so make them your own.
- Peplums and Crop Tops are adding a new focus to the waist.
- We are seeing peplums on jackets, tops, skirts, jumpsuits, and dresses.
- Reach for this new, modern silhouette when you want an alternative to a jacket.
- The classic pencil skirt has made a comeback.
- Color blocking was a big hit last year and will be again this year.
- Basically, color blocking combines two or more blocks of color on a fabric of a skirt, top or even shoe or purse. It is just blocks of colors placed next to each other, but the color combination is what makes it “pop”.
- Black and White together look super-crisp, especially when accented with bold black lines.
Tangerine/Orange and Pastel Colors
- Pleats in every form – especially accordion and plissé (plee-say) finish – will be very prominent this spring.
- A chic chiffon skirt combines modern lines with textured details for a great statement – it is available at BCBGMAXAZRIA at Cherry Hill Mall.
- The skirt is available in beautiful bold colors and even in metallic – another great trend this year.
Super Bold, Edgy and Graphic Prints
- Now if you want to talk about hot, the hot colors for the season are Tangerine/Orange colors.
- This color tone has been selected by Pantone, the color authority, as the color will dominate the trends in fashion, home decor and other products.
- This vibrant color is so uplifting and warm. You’ll see this trend in everything from dresses to handbags, fragrances to iPad cases.
- Orange is definitely the new pink this season. If you think that you can’t pull off an all tangerine outfit, then use this hue in your accessories. If wild, look-at-me colors aren’t your thing, don’t worry – soft pastels colors will be very in this season too, giving off a low-key, ladylike vibe.
- Blame it on the new digital age, but update your wardrobe this season with the newest trend of the high tech printing methods. It’s all about super bold, edgy and graphic prints…There are prints, and then there are PRINTS and there are plenty to choose from – oversize florals, mirrorlike geometric shapes, and even bird prints.
- There is a Geometric Knit Dress from White House Black Market that showcases a graphic print and vibrant stripe – mimicking a 60’s vibe.
- And there is a one-shoulder printed silk gown from BCBGMAXAZRIA, a flowing chiffon dress with abstract floral print – perfect for a special event. Just add simple earrings and a nude-colored heel as the finishing touches to this inspirational look.
- Spring and summer is all about being BOLD. The new floral isn’t about being soft and pretty; it is about making a statement! So it’s go big – or go home.
- Floral prints make us feel pretty and feminine. Tip: If you haven’t worked up to an entire floral dress or outfit, try a bold floral blouse with some skinny jeans or a pair of solid shorts.
- Be subtle with your accessories. Like a pair of sunglasses, a hat, or small stud earrings. Just keep it simple.
- JCrew at Cherry Hill Mall has lots of florals!
Stripes are the new black.
Article by: Lisa Wolstromer
- We’re seeing bright stripes in jeans, sweaters, scarves… really everything from head to toe.
- Sometimes we’re afraid of looking like a clown, zebra or bigger than we really are when wearing stripes, but there are ways to enhance your figure with the pattern.
- First wear just one print matched with a solid.
- To appear taller, try vertically striped pants or skirts with a solid-colored tee or shirt.
- Start wearing stripes in accessories if you’re too timid for an overall look.
Lisa Wolstromer is Senior Marketing Director for Cherry Hill Mall and Moorestown Mall. Readers, you can find these trends at stores at Cherry Hill Mall (Nordstrom, Michael Kors, White House Black Market, etc.) and Moorestown Mall (Lord & Taylor, New York & Co.) As seen in: Camden County Woman and Burlington County Woman (Spring 2012)